Pages

Monday, January 6, 2020

Folks flock to roadside 'Bread Shack' in Rockford run by self-taught baker mom - Knoxville News Sentinel

Locals know to stop by the Bread Shack soon after noon on a Friday. Laura Buckingham and her 3-year-old daughter, Maple, fill their “shack” with baked goods and often completely sell out between 4:30 and 6 p.m.

For 10 years, Buckingham has been selling her baked goods at farmers markets.

“I was always the biggest pull at every market, so I thought I’d rather break out on my own,” said Buckingham.

She regularly sold bread to the employees at a local factory, and the owner said he could rent her some land at 3686 Old Knoxville Highway, across from the Four Corners Market and gas station in Rockford.  

“I tore down the shed and built this shack in March 2018,” said Buckingham. “I worked at it any moment I wasn’t baking or selling and built it in sections. I broke three hammers building it, used 'oops paint' and tarred the tin roof to seal the holes. One of my customers insulated it for me so that I could sell bread year-round.”

Determined to build the shack without any assistance, Buckingham – a Marine Corps veteran who has rebounded after some high-profile legal troubles years ago related to PTSD – said her neighbors would often sit and watch her work on the shack. “I had a building permit, it’s all legit and I’m registered with the state and the county,” she said. “I even got my CPA certification.”

The Bread Shack receives plenty of orders from local offices and schools. “The sweet swirl bread – with brown sugar and cinnamon – is definitely the most popular and the pecan sticky buns are a close second,” said Buckingham. Each week, the self-taught baker sells Amish white, Italian herb and jalapeno bread, as well as cream cheese frosted cinnamon rolls and banana bread.

“I’ve had a lot of customers on a whim show up and buy tons for their office,” said Buckingham. “I had one guy buy $100 for their office and ask if it’s OK to buy that much bread.”

As long as Buckingham can find apples, she will have apple butter to sell. The breads and pastry trays sell for $5, the half pints of apple butter are $5 and the full pints are $10.

Buckingham’s daughter is interested in baking, too. “She has a following herself and bakes her little loaves that she sells and puts the money in her own cash register," she said. “She wants to be involved in everything I cook, she cracks her own eggs, stirs in her own cheese.” The pair live in an old rustic pioneer cabin with a wood stove. “We do the slow living thing, so the bread fits into it all. We have learned a lot and we even know how to fix a well,” said Buckingham.

“I try to decorate the Bread Shack for every holiday,” said Buckingham. In spring, they plant flowers in the palette wood planters; in the colder months they light the fire pit and roast hot dogs; and for Christmas, the twosome have hung garland and other handmade holiday decorations they pick up at church sales.  “It’s a little bit quirky, but that’s how we like it.”  

Maple has a play area and they often listen to music and invite people to hang out while they sell bread.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



"bread" - Google News
January 06, 2020 at 07:30PM
https://ift.tt/36u70MG

Folks flock to roadside 'Bread Shack' in Rockford run by self-taught baker mom - Knoxville News Sentinel
"bread" - Google News
https://ift.tt/2pGzbrj
Shoes Man Tutorial
Pos News Update
Meme Update
Korean Entertainment News
Japan News Update

No comments:

Post a Comment