Pages

Monday, January 6, 2020

Damian Lillard, CJ McCollum and Jusuf Nurkic reunite, break bread with Meyers Leonard ahead of Blazers-Heat game - Yahoo Sports

The reunion between Meyers Leonard and his former team in South Beach is here!

Before the Trail Blazers and Heat took the court Sunday, NBC Sports Northwest Trail Blazers Insider Dwight Jaynes got a chance to catch up with the former Blazers big man.

This season for the Heat, Leonard is averaging 5.9 points, 4.7 rebounds, and 1.0 assist while playing starting at center for Erik Spoelstra.

Leonard discussed how there has been a big transition period going from city to city and team to team.

To be honest, I kind of fell in love with Portland, I'm a very loyal guy, I really enjoyed my time in Portland, but I've moved on and it's been a great experience for me here in Miami. – Meyers Leonard told Dwight Jaynes pregame

The 7-footer also explained how he grew up in Portland, but even though this is his eighth season in the league, he is continuing to grow as a player and grow in his new role.

"I was drafted when I was very young. I was barely 20 years old when I came to Portland, definitely had a learning curve, continued to work as hard as I could and get better, obviously by the end of my time in Portland, I think I showed people what I was capable of and due to that Miami saw something in me, and Portland at that time thought it was a bit of a transition period for some of those guys including myself," Leonard said.

Coach Spoelstra has been surprised by how much of a vocal leader Leonard has shown this season.

The 27-year-old is pleased with his production during the Heat's best start to the season in years.

"Now I'm in a new role, I feel very good about what I'm doing on a night-to-night basis. I've started every game in a Miami Heat uniform, using my voice as a leader, as a communicator on the floor, and in the locker room, and just continuing to learn honestly, even though I'm in my eighth year, I said it when I was in Portland, and I'll continue to say it – there's still a lot I can get better with, but I do feel as though my defense as got much better, rebounding," Leonard said.

After the Trail Blazers wrapped up Saturday's practice in Miami, Damian Lillard discussed how it would be weird going up against his former teammate and friend.

Lillard along with CJ McCollum and Jusuf Nurkic all went over to Leonard's house Saturday night for dinner.

"That was pretty special… It was really, really cool to spend some time with those guys," Leonard said with a smile.

The Heat are now 16-1 at home this season and 25-10.

And, who doesn't enjoy winning?  

"We've played very well so far this season," Leonard said with a smile. "And obviously we have to continue to do that, continue to improve… But we have a good blend of guys."

You can catch Leonard going up against his former team on NBC Sports Northwest as the Blazers and Heat tip-off at 3:00pm PT.

Damian Lillard, CJ McCollum and Jusuf Nurkic reunite, break bread with Meyers Leonard ahead of Blazers-Heat game originally appeared on NBC Sports Northwest

Let's block ads! (Why?)



"bread" - Google News
January 06, 2020 at 05:53AM
https://ift.tt/37yZpwm

Damian Lillard, CJ McCollum and Jusuf Nurkic reunite, break bread with Meyers Leonard ahead of Blazers-Heat game - Yahoo Sports
"bread" - Google News
https://ift.tt/2pGzbrj
Shoes Man Tutorial
Pos News Update
Meme Update
Korean Entertainment News
Japan News Update

No comments:

Post a Comment